Sunday, June 20, 2010

I want to be a Nun

So, when I was just a littl girl, like about six years old, I used to sit on the front porch of a three story home in the Avenues of Salt Lake City. The basement section of this home was where I lived with my parents of course. Anyway, I would sit on the front porch for a very special purpose which was to await the arrival of the nuns who lived on the top story of this home. I loved hearing the stories they would tell me about Jesus and how they served Him everyday. My love for Jesus was so great, to the point that my best friend, Linda, and I would go sit in the
Catholic graveyard, which was only about a half block away from where I lived, and sit at the foot of the cross - a headstone - and pray. I LOVED primary and my favorite song was, Jesus once was a little child. One day no one took me to primary so I took it upon myself to walk the streets of Salt Lake so I wouldn't miss it. When I got there I was so happy, even though I didn't know anyone there. I got to pick a song which was, This little light of mine. I looked out the window and I could litterally feel Jesus. I was happy as could be, that is, until my mom showed up to get me. The Wards had changed times and I was in the wrong ward so mom came to take me home. It took them quite a bit to convince me to go home and I could come back on my own Primary day. Sadly I gave in.
One very special day after talking to the nuns, the spirit had filled me from my head to my toes.
I felt so close to Jesus and I loved the nuns. It was then a sudden inspiration filled my soul. I wanted to be a nun and serve Jesus. I ran as fast as I could to talk to mom and let her know of my plans. Mom was not happy with those words at all. Being LDS, of course that was just not the news she would want to hear. Quickly she put me in my place and explained to me the importance of multiplying the earth, to become a mommy and get married. Guilt struck me as I she spoke and I quickly got that notion out of my head.
Life went on and 11 years later I was married and starting my family. I was a pretty straight laced person, not perfect but pretty straight laced. I had people tell me I was as straight as they came. All was well for a while, but something kept nagging at me. I didn't ever feel complete being LDS. I started going wayward and became a pretty lost soul for about 8 years. I did things I wish I had never done, and did things I never came close to thinking I would ever do. But it was then that my journey began. God took hold of me and over the course of about 8 more years, God gently guided me up and through and around the Mountain. I met many people of different faiths, and was influenced by many good people. I found my way back to God and learned many great things.
God is my all in all and I have to say I am a seeker - a God chaser. I know I am far from perfect
but my deepest love is God, and to dance with Him is the greatest thing on earth. God is my Love and He is the air I breath. For many years now, I have been more like that little girl I was in Salt Lake. Being Catholic now, it is too late to be a Nun but I can serve Jesus and I do my best to do just that. The void is finally gone.

No comments: